Throughout this video series, watch and draw along with me as I take you step-by-step through a realistic graphite drawing of helping hands from start to finish.
In this first video session of the series, we will:
- Discuss selection and preparation of the reference photograph. 00:17
- Apply a grid to the reference photograph. 01:34
- Prepare a grid for our drawing paper. 05:52
- Discuss copyright and proper use of the reference photograph. 16:26
- Briefly discuss switching between the reference photo and the video during the series. 17:03
- Discuss the materials we plan to use throughout the entire Helping Hands series. 18:07
- Draw the outline of the fingers of the right hand. 30:18
- Draw the outline of the fingers of the left hand. 47:25
- Complete the outline of the hands and arm. 56:00
- Draw the fingernails. 1:02:41
Tip: Click on one of the times above, and then click the Play button to jump to that part of the video.
Materials and Resources
The following materials and resources are introduced or used during this video session. If you do not have everything listed here, do not let that stop you from drawing! You can always get started with what you do have and improvise for what you don’t have.
When you are ready to get new materials and resources, feel free to make use of the links below. Some of the links below are affiliate links (meaning I will get a tiny commission if you purchase). Another option is to just pick them up at your local art supply store or other applicable retail store.