Throughout this video series, watch and draw along with me as I take you step-by-step through a realistic pencil portrait of “Ann” from start to finish.
In this second video session of the series, we will:
- Discuss copyright and proper use of the reference photograph. 00:45
- Use a reference photo with grid lines already in place, switching between the photo and the video. 01:50
- Make the outline of the face. 09:10
- Make the outline of the hair. 21:00
- Draw the shoulders and the neckline. 48:40
- Finish the line drawing of the hair. 1:07:00
- Finish the line drawing of the clothing. 1:26:30
- Complete the entire line drawing with value changes on the skin. 1:35:30
- Begin adding tones to the eyes. 1:45:50
Tip: Click on one of the times above, and then click the Play button to jump to that part of the video.
Materials and Resources
The following materials and resources are introduced or used during this video session. If you do not have everything listed here, do not let that stop you from drawing! You can always get started with what you do have and improvise for what you don’t have.
When you are ready to get new materials and resources, feel free to make use of the links below. Some of the links below are affiliate links (meaning I will get a tiny commission if you purchase). Another option is to just pick them up at your local art supply store or other applicable retail store.